Thursday, March 3, 2011

Me gusta correr en Espana

Well, I've been back in the States for over a week and haven't even updated my blog - have I mentioned how bad I am about writing and keeping track of my travels?  I would make a great writer for a travel magazine someday....

But now that I am here, I want to write about one of the things I truly enjoyed while I was in Spain.  And since I've been following the blogs of a few runners from my Alma mater Trinity University, this topic will tie in well (not to mention I've been running more lately in a desperate attempt to relive my 400m college running days, eeek!).

 
Before I got to Spain, my girlfriend Erin and her roomie Annie talked about an awesome park that is only about a mile away from their apartment. I was excited because after seeing a few pictures, I could totally imagine E and I taking a lazy stroll around the park and stopping to sip coffee and enjoy life, quietly watching people as they canoodled and snogged, not caring who noticed.  It all seemed very romantic.  Kind of like the way Harry and Sally strolled through Central Park in one of my favorite movies When Harry Met Sally (my secret guilty pleasure are romantic comedies.  And I know it will remain a secret because no one reads a blog I rarely update).  Needless to say, I was excited.

So the first day I got to Spain, I sincerely hoped I could take a nice walk around the park and quickly share a romantic moment with my love.  Unfortunately, I forgot that Erin hates to walk.  Or workout outside.  So my bubble was popped...but not completely destroyed.
I was lucky in that Annie's boyfriend Sean, aka Puff, was also visiting and likes to run.  So when he asked if I wanted to run with him at 8 am the next day, I was in.  Who cares about jet lag!

So by 8:10 am we were off (I run on CP time, thankfully Puff was accommodating). 

And we jogged 10 minutes south down Nunez de Balboa, the street the girls live on in a very posh neighborhood to Parque del Reitro.  And it was as gorgeous as the girls mentioned. 

We entered through a large gate and proceeded to take a nice, easy jaunt around the park.  It took us about 30 minutes to complete a loop around on a nice, gravel trail.  Sean and I had only met once before and we got along pretty well, so this gave us a good chance to catch up, compare notes on long distance relationships, and just chat like guys do on a run.  But more than that, it was a great chance to experience Spain through our own eyes. (Check out this Google Map of the park)


And what a great way it was to see some of the city, particularly, the edges of central Madrid.  More than that, it was easy to feel lost amid the chaotic hustle and bustle of a large international city.  The park had a good number of runners, all dressed as if they were ready to race a marathon, wearing the latest Nike wind gear, dri-fit spandex, running gloves, and i-pods.  But in typical Spanish fashion, they were more about dressing the part than they were about actually running hard or fast. 
And I say that not as knock against Spanish culture. If anything, running around the park and seeing so many unexpected joggers along the trails, walkers enjoying the day, and couples enjoying themselves helped me understand how much Spaniards just love to live.  As Americans, we are obssessed with running certain paces to race certain times and distances, meanwhile, the Spanish seem to run because it is a part of living a healthy, enjoyable, and fulfilling life.

Who cares about running 9 minute miles when you cruise and enjoy the beauty surrounding you and fell all the more invigorated afterwards.  How great is it to run and feel alive after a long day's work and not overtaxed by the need to complete a hard tempo run.  Or to simply take a lazy stroll through the amazing trails in the park with your love because that's what people who love life do. 

Annie and Erin talked a lot about how Spaniards just love life and don't obsess over work and many of the things we Americans do.  And spending a day in Spain, you can clearly understand that.  But taking a 30 minute run through the park helped me see the finer side of that laid back lifestyle.  And I have to admit, I was jealous.  It was one of the few times I could see myself living in Spain and leading a similar life. 

On my last night in Spain before I departed for home, I felt the need to take in parque del reitro one last time.  And it was awesome to see it at night.  Apparently, Madrid has an incredibly low crime rate, so running in a darkened park with little light is no big deal.  The trails are dimly lit on the south side, and lamps aren't needed because the surrounding city provides more than enough light to find your footing.  But I was amazed at how many more runners were out at 8 pm!

I knew that Spaniards start and end their days later than Americans, so it would make sense that people would knock out their after-work running between 7 and 9 pm.  But I was still surprised at the amount of running groups!  Old and young, men and women, all doing slow group runs, running drills, yoga stretches - it was a sight to see.  So much for Erin and Annie telling us that people in Spain don't work out, which I think has more to do with the fact that they don't really workout, so of course, how could they tell if any one else does?  Hahah....but in their defense people in Spain, men and women alike, are very slight in build.  But I think that goes back to what I have been rambling about.  Mainly that Spaniards workout to enjoy a healthier life, not to necessarily look like a cast member on the Jersey Shore or the cover of Runner's magazine.

Anyway, I have rambled on long enough.  I need to head to bed so that I can workout in the morning.  Or at least to get to work by 10 am like they do in Spain.  :)  Until next time....

No comments: